- Circulating Supply is the best approximation of the number of assets that are circulating in the market and in the general public's hands. We have found that Circulating Supply is a much better metric than Total Supply for determining the market capitalization. The method of using the Circulating Supply is analogous to the method of using public float to determine the market capitalization of companies in traditional investing.
- Assets that are locked (via smart contracts or legal contracts), allocated to the team or private investors, or not able to be sold on the public market, cannot affect the price and thus should not be allowed to affect the market capitalization as well. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Private sale - Assets that were earmarked for a subset of investors and not available to the public through open bidding/balloting.
- Ecosystem/Bounty/Marketing/Operations/Airdrops - Assets that have been earmarked for activities to grow the project’s ecosystem. For example, airdropped tokens are generally excluded from circulating supply unless the project is able to furnish evidence that there was active demand for the asset (e.g. users had registered/KYCed for the airdrop).
- Masternodes - Assets that have been ‘staked’ in masternodes are generally excluded. Factors such as masternode distribution and lock-up periods are also taken into consideration.
- Team/Foundation/Treasury/Escrow - Assets held by project members or major ecosystem participants. Such holdings can constitute a significant percentage of the supply.
- Circulating Supply is verified by our team through communication with the project’s team. We ask for details including but not limited to the initial distribution, private allocations, locked addresses, team-controlled addresses, and addresses containing portions of the supply allocated for future use.
- We examine the project’s blockchain and distribution table to determine the best approximation of what is freely circulating in the market based on the information provided.
- Once the information is verified, circulating supply is usually updated in real time by using relevant block explorer APIs.
- It is in every project’s interest to provide accurate and well-documented information in good faith.
- Projects that attempt to manipulate or artificially inflate their supply figures will be permanently disqualified from the rankings.
We define Total Supply as the total amount of coins in existence right now, minus any coins that have been verifiably burned.
The best approximation of the maximum amount of coins that will ever exist in the lifetime of the cryptocurrency. This is also known as the theoretical max number of coins that will ever be minted.